Man Met held to a draw against Uni of Manchester

  • Man Met 3rd XI's hopes for the title are damaged as they draw 1-1 against Uni of Manchester 2nd XI
  • Alvaro Hernandez on the scoresheet for MMU with a stunning volley
  • Man Met remain in second place, with UoM in third 

Man Met’s winning run in the league came to an end as they were held to a 1-1 draw against a strong Uni of Manchester (UoM) side.

Although the game ended a low-scoring draw, it was not without its excitement, as both teams kept their foot on the gas until the final whistle in an affair that had spectators on the edge of their seats.

As expected for a derby, the game started at a high intensity with both teams pressing high up the pitch, causing a frantic opening ten minutes with neither team establishing any possession in the early exchanges.

Twenty minutes in and UoM were stamping their authority on the game with a cluster of good chances.

Runners-in behind caused the MMU defence trouble but keeper Joel Fletcher was quick off his line to avert any danger.

UoM thought they had the opening goal of the derby as the ball landed in the back of the net following some good passing through midfield, but the referee called play back because of an offside.

Two minutes later and MMU were appealing for a penalty.

Sam Stich was played through on goal and seemed to be taken out by the UoM keeper, but the referee said no penalty – a big call by the official.

But MMU wouldn’t have to wait long for the opening goal as, following an innocuous throw-in on the right wing, the ball fell to Alvaro Hernandez who volleyed the ball with the outside of his boot into the top corner, leaving no chance for the UoM keeper. A simply stunning goal.

MMU’s lead would only last five minutes as runners-in behind caused problems for the MMU defence once again, and this time UoM’s number 8 timed his run to perfection, slotting the ball away with his left foot to make the score 1-1.


In the second half there were very few clear-cut chances for the home side.

Sam Stich was an isolated figure up front and any supply that he did get was quickly cut out by a well-organised UoM defence.

Frustration from MMU was beginning to show and the away side sought to pounce, playing most of their football in the MMU half.

The best chance of the second half came in the last minute when a great cross into the box from the right wing fell to UoM’s number 16 at the back post.

While the player looked certain to score, he scuffed his shot and Fletcher was able to parry it away – a chance to grab all three points for the away side had gone begging.

Although MMU had some bright sparks throughout the game, UoM can deem themselves unlucky to not have taken all three points at Platt Lane.

The away side were excellent in defence and had the better of the chances.

On another day the score could have easily been different.

With both teams getting a point, the table looks the same, with Man Met in second and Uni of Manchester in third.

MMU will look to get back to winning ways next week against Edge Hill 2nd XI.