Greater Manchester Police - Photo by ilovetheeu

Three men jailed after beating man to death in Farnworth following argument

  • Ian Bendall died in hospital five days after beaten by the group
  • Alexander Smith Colgan, 29, was sentenced to life imprisonment for murder
  • Ellis Hampson, 19, and William Coughlan, 26, were jailed for 11 and 10 years for manslaughter

Three men have been jailed after beating a man to death in Farnworth following a dispute.

Ian Bendall died in hospital five days after beaten by the trio last June, the jury at Manchester Crown Court heard.

Alexander Smith-Colgan, 29, of Ramsey Avenue, Farnworth, and Ellis Hampson, 19, of Oakfield Drive, Little Hulton, set about hunting for Ian Bendall after they were involved in a dispute with him.

Alex Colgan - GMP
Alexander Smith-Colgan
Ellis Hampson - GMP
Ellis Hampton

The pair tracked him down the following day and forced him into a car, taking him away. They met up with William Coughlan, 26, of Ramsay Avenue, Farnworth, with all three then brutally beating the man before taking him home.

William Coughlan - GMP
William Coughlan

Mr Bendall was subsequently taken to hospital, but discharged himself the next day. He was readmitted two days later, where his condition deteriorated. He contracted pneumonia because of broken ribs and died on 13 June.

Today, Colgan was sentenced to life imprisonment and will serve a minimum of 27 years for murder.

Hampson and Coughlan were both convicted of manslaughter, with the pair being sentenced to 11 years and 10 years respectively.

Senior investigating officer Duncan Thorpe said: “These men clearly premeditated the harrowing assault they inflicted on Ian.

“Today’s result won’t bring Ian back, but I hope it goes some way to helping his family and friends grieve – knowing that those responsible have been locked away.

“They are now where they deserve to be and can reflect on their despicable actions as they spend at least 48 years between them behind bars.”