Stockport County Ladies secure first home win of the season with 4-1 thrashing of Bolton Wanderers Ladies

  • First half goal from Bolton's Shaunna Jein proves to be in vain
  • Just Stockport's second league win of the season
  • Stockport manager Green says side now 'need to push on'

A first-half double from Chloe Mapp helped Stockport County Ladies seal a 4-1 win over Bolton Wanderers Ladies in the Women’s National League Division One North. 

Further goals from Sophie John and Imogen Porteous-Williams ensured victory after Bolton had threatened a comeback, with Shaunna Jein making it 2-1 just before the half-time whistle.  

Stockport looked as though they might run away with it in the first half following a strong start. A through ball from John played in last season’s top scorer Mapp, who finished with aplomb to open the scoring in the 11th minute. Just minutes later, Porteous-Williams went close to doubling the lead as she struck the bar with a lob from outside the box.  

It was a more even contest as the half went on with Bolton looking comfortable in possession and it took a good save from Jessica Linford to keep out Bolton’s Jess Battle to maintain Stockport’s slender lead.  

Stockport grew into the game and great footwork from Ellise Newby allowed her to put Mapp through on goal, with Mapp making no mistake with the finish and doubling her tally for the game in the 32nd minute. It was a nervy end to the half. however. as Bolton pulled a goal back in the 43rd minute. A cross into the box followed some good play on Bolton’s right wing and Shaunna Jein punished Stockport’s failure to clear the ball, pulling a goal back to halve Stockport’s lead.  

The second half didn’t see quite as much action as the first with Stockport’s best chance coming in the 59th minute. Mapp stood over a free kick but blazed it high and wide, missing the chance to complete her hat trick.  

Linford pulled off a fine save from Bolton’s Nicole Johnston in the 62nd minute to preserve Stockport’s lead and keep the score at 2-1. Minutes later, Porteous-Williams missed a good chance to make it 3-1 when through on goal. She quickly made amends, however, as it was her floated delivery from a corner that allowed John to climb the highest and steer the ball into the back of the net.  

Porteous-Williams never stopped running and deep into the second half got the goal her game deserved. Her shot cannoned off the underside of the bar and into the back of the net in the 89th minute to make it 4-1, putting an end to any hopes Bolton may have had of a comeback.  

After the game Stockport manager Ronnie Green admitted it had been a tough season so far for his side, as they secured just their second league win of the season but felt as though his side “proved their quality.”

Green added that that if the side did not back up its performance with another strong showing in their next game away to Newcastle, that they “would be back to square one”. 

Victory takes Stockport up to eighth in the league, two points behind Bolton in sixth.