Stockport 3-3 Darlington scoreboard

Stockport 3-3 Darlington: Match Report

  • Stockport rue missed chances as Darlington 1883 come from behind to force a draw in a six goal thriller at Edgeley Park
  • Mark Beck’s 86th minute header saw the spoils shared as the resilient visitors’ rally together to produce three equalisers

Stockport County took the lead mid-way into the first half when debutant Elliot Osborne whipped in an in-swinging cross right into the path of the onrushing Danny Lloyd who headed in his 18th goal of the season.

The Hatters lead was nearly doubled moments later when the in-form Lloyd saw his curling free-kick strike the inside of the post. Ten minutes later, Darlington scored via a free-kick of their own when Josh Gillies cross created confusion amongst the County defence and found its way into the far corner.

Four minutes later Stockport were back in front when Darlington stopper Peter Jameson failed to deal with a wicked in-swinging corner from Danny Lloyd and could only parry the ball goal-wards for Stockport’s second in ten minutes.

It looked as if the home side would be entering the interval with the lead but such thoughts would be short lived as Darlington would equalise for a second time in the 44th minute. The previously at fault Jameson’s long clearance was flicked on to Stephen Thompson who drilled the ball into the back of net.

The frenetic pace of the first-half calmed down following the break as both sides enjoyed spells of possession. Stockport looked a constant threat down the left-hand side and were always looking to open up the 1883 defence with balls into the channels.

On the 75th minute Stockport took the lead for a third time when a counter-attacking run from substitute Kaine Felix opened up the Darlington defence and with the help of a few deflections the ball found itself at fellow replacement Jimmy Ball’s feet who lashed in from close range.

Moments later an opportunity fell kindly again to Ball inside the penalty area and he directed his shot goal-wards for it only to be denied superbly by Jameson.

The intensity had certainly found its way back into the game in the last ten minutes or so as Darlington created a brilliant opportunity of their own. Following a failed clearance, Beck found himself some space in the area before firing high to Ben Hinchcliffe’s left-hand side but the County stopper tipped the ball brilliantly over the bar.

His efforts would be to no avail however as Darlington would eventually draw level when Beck headed home from a pin-point Terry Galbraith cross five minutes from time. Stockport looked shaky at the back when defending balls into the area all game and it came to no surprise that the late pressure from the visitors would eventually pay off.

That being said, the Hatters looked threatening down the opposite end every time they came forward and they nearly won the game in the 90th minute when the inspired substitute Jimmy Ball’s left-footed strike hit the crossbar and bounced out. This would be the last notable chance as the game would end up finishing 3-3.

The result would extend Stockport County’s unbeaten run in the league to seven games and would take them one point closer to Darlington 1883 who remain three places above the Hatters in the third play-off spot.