Manchester city centre on alert after ‘horrific’ terror attack at Victoria Station leaves couple in hospital with serious stab injuries

  • Couple in hospital after attack at Victoria Station Metrolink
  • Police officer stabbed after gong to their aid
  • 25 year old manin police custody following knife attack

A 25-year-old man has been detained in custody following what police have described as a ‘terrorist’ incident in Victoria Station last night.

The attack just before 9pm last night left a couple in hospital with serious injuries after being stabbed by a man with a knife on the station concourse.

A police officer who went to their aid was also injured in the attack.


Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said: “Last night we experienced an horrific attack on people out to simply enjoy the New Year’s Eve celebrations in Manchester.

“My thoughts are with the couple who are still being treated in hospital for their serious injuries and with the brave British Transport Police officer who was also stabbed during the attack.

“I know that the events last night will have affected many people and caused concern. That the incident happened so close to the scene of the terrorist attack on 22 May 2017 makes it even more dreadful.”

 “Just before 9pm the British Transport Police officers at Victoria Train Station responded to a man armed with a knife and swiftly detained him. The officers acted with incredible bravery in tackling the armed attacker at the busy Metrolink station and ensured he was immediately detained. He remains in custody here in Manchester.

“We are treating this as a terrorist investigation which is being led by counter terrorism officers with support from Greater Manchester Police. They were working throughout the night to piece together the details of what happened and to identify the man who was arrested.

“This detailed work will continue and we are currently searching an address in the Cheetham Hill area of Manchester which is believed to be where the man had most recently been living. Our work will continue to ensure we get to the full facts of what happened and why it took place.

“I would ask anyone with footage to send it to [email protected] and if they have any information that might assist the investigation to contact us on 0161 856 3400.”

Manchester Victoria Station
Looking into Victoria Station

Sam Clack, a BBC producer who witnessed the attack told the Guardian: “I just heard this most blood-curdling scream and looked down the platform. What it looked like was a guy in his 60s with a woman of similar age and another guy all dressed in black.

“It looked like they were having a fight, but she was screaming in this blood-curdling way. I saw police in hi-vis come towards him. He came towards me. I looked down and saw he had a kitchen knife with a black handle with a good 12-inch blade.”

Manchester Victoria Station
The front entrance of Victoria Station

Sean O’Callaghan, an assistant chief constable at British Transport Police, said: “I am incredibly proud of the four officers who were immediately on scene last night, detaining a man who was wielding a knife. They were fearless, running towards danger and preventing further harm coming to passengers.

“Unfortunately, however, one of our police officers suffered a stab injury to their shoulder and we’re all relieved that this is not more serious. It is good news that he has now been discharged from hospital, we are all wishing him a speedy recovery.

“As this incident occurred on Greater Manchester Police jurisdiction, they are now leading this investigation and we doing everything we can to actively support them. Understandably, incidents of this nature are likely to cause concern, but I would like to reassure the public they are incredibly rare and we have officers on duty throughout the national rail network.”