Harry Kane Celebrating after his last minute winner with his arms out.

Man City defeated by defiant Tottenham at the Etihad

  • The weekend game between 1st place Manchester City and 8th place Tottenham Hotspur ended in a thrilling 3-2 defeat for the champions.
  • 2 late stoppage time goals changing the outcome of the game twice.


Manchester City lined up with two changes from the midweek game against Sporting with Walker and Gündoğan in and Stones and Mahrez benched. Mahrez did make an appearance in this game at 68’ min sub for Raheem Sterling.

Spurs however, made 5 changes to their 2-0 loss to Wolves the week before. With their new signing, Kulusevski making his first start for the club.

The Swedish star Kulusevski, made a big impact with a 4th minute goal after a mistake from Ruben Dias trying to play an offside trap, allowing Son to get in behind and square it to Kulusevski to slot it in through Cancelo’s legs.

Despite trailing 1-0, City took full control of the game as usual taking shots and troubling Lloris. It took until the 33rd minute for the equalizer where the City captain Gündoğan slotted away a rebound after a shot from Sterling from 27 yards out.

That saw the end of the first half ending equal at one a piece.

After kick off for the second half, City gained control again maintaining possession. However, after losing possession in the spurs half, the ball got to Son on the left wing and he crossed the ball into Kane in the centre where he laced it on the volley into the top right corner of the net making it 2-1.

Then in the 74th minute, Kane receives the ball in the centre of the box and slots it in the back of the net making it 3-1 to Spurs, however the goal was then given offside from earlier on in the attack from Kulusevski out wide. The score remained at 2-1.

As the game looked as good as over the fourth official gave an extra 7 minutes of time after the 90. Then almost right after the 90th minute Bernardo Silvas run down the wing led to a penalty for City after a handball from Romero after calls from the City players led to a VAR check.

The substitute Mahrez, stepped up to take the penalty being the leading goal scorer in all competitions for the club. He then smashed it into the roof of the net making it near impossible to save. Making the score 2-2 in the 92nd minute.

Both teams seemed to be settling for the draw until a brilliant ball over the top from Betancur to Kulusevski on the wing created massive space for him to pick out a ball to Harry Kane in the centre to beat Walker to the header leaving Ederson stuck in the mud as he heads it into the bottom corner in the 95th minute, ending the game.

Harry Kane received Man of the match for his brilliant performance to split the title race wide open in gameweek 26.