Four-goal Olie Baker puts Blue and Orange through to third round in Sunday Futsal cup win

MMU 11 University of Sheffield 2

(Half time: 3-1)

Second round of the Men’s Northern Conference Cup. Livestream here: Referee Les Page.

Olie Baker scored four with Sam Edwards and Marc Osa Ofua netting twice as Man Met’s futsal team progressed to the third round of the Men’s Conference Cup with a convincing 11-2 win over University of Sheffield at Platt Lane.

The boys of the blue and orange built a 3-1 win in a pacey first half with two from Baker and a long shot from Scott Froggatt. Charlie Stewart replied for the visitors.

It was an early start for this second round Sunday morning fixture in the Men’s Northern Conference Cup with the Sheffield team meeting at 0650 for the journey across the Pennines for an 0900 kick-off. The game was shown live on MMU’s sport channel Matchday Live with commentary from Ed Tucker and Benjy Golaub.

With a larger pool of players to choose from, MMU rotated on and off and built from defence with fast and accurate passing. Ching Wei, Marc Osa Ofua, Jamie Villareal and Ollie Baker moved in and out of the action in pairs to keep the pressure on Sheffield ‘keeper and captain Dennis Minter.

Osa Ofua made it 4-1 three minutes from the re-start as MMU turned the screw and Dennis Minter was repeatedly called into action to keep the ball out of the Sheffield goal. But the pressure began to tell and MMU added to the score until Ollie Baker put the ball through Minter’s legs to make it 7-1 with nine minutes remaining.

Sam Edwards bagged his second with a low drive with five minutes to go and Marc Osa Ofua made it double figures with a beautiful cushioned volley from a cross by Ching Wei. Aslan Tunc notched a second for Sheffield but by then the game was long gone. Kieran Williams added more MMU misery to the scoreline by making it 11 with a minute to go.

After the game, Ollie Baker said: “It was a good team performance on a Sunday morning. It was good to get four but more importantly to get through to the third round.”

MMU’s Ollie Baker prepares to shoot as Dennis Minter in the Sheffield goal sets himself to save. Photo: Vince Hunt
MMU ‘keeper James Kay sets himself for a Sheffield attack. Picture: Vince Hunt

James Kay keeps another Sheffield attack away. Photo: Vince Hunt