FC United of Manchester see off Trinity in a slick 3-2 win

  • Goals for Adam Dodd, Sam Burns and Regan Linney as FCUM make it four wins out of four
  • FCUM sit 11th in the Northern Premier League Premier Division on 23 points

It was a wet afternoon under the lights for FC as they welcomed Gainsborough Trinity to Broadhurst Park.

Trinity kicked off but FC that were out to stamp authority in the early exchanges. The greasy surface was something that went in favour of the home side, being able to play wide and expansive, a style that delighted the Rebels faithful as FC created chance after chance.

Trinity should have had the lead around the 27th minute when number 10 Alex Wollerton broke free of the FC defence and rounded reds ‘keeper Dan Lavercombe.

But the ball was kept out of the net by a last gasp goal line clearance and a hasty clearance.

The first goal of the afternoon came for FC after a cynical foul by the Trinity defence around 20 yards out led to a free kick in a brilliant area.

Adam Dodd made no mistake firing a peach of ball into the top corner, leaving the keeper with no chance of keeping it out.

Celebrations showed the trust and cohesion that manager Paul Reynolds has cultivated within the squad and backroom staff.

A highlight of FC’s play in the first half was the recycling of the ball from defence to attack, with slick play making it look effortless at times. The score at the break was 1-0 to FC.

It took just five into the second half for FC to double their lead.

Sam Burns, on loan from Blackburn Rovers, took hold of a loose ball outside the area and his effort cannoned off the inside of the post to make it 2-0.

By this point, United were really turning the screw on Gainsborough. Four minutes after the second, FC had a third goal.

This time it was Regan Linney who scored to make it 3-0.

The rest of the afternoon looked plain sailing for FC, but there were plenty twists and turns left.

When FC made a double change in the 58th minute brining on Jovon Makamba and Cieron Keane, the momentum at Broadhurst Park switched.

It took just 17 minutes for Makama to make an impact as he managed to get on the end of a ball that seemed to catch FC off guard, making it 3-1.

It did at this point seem like Trinity were finding the form that they had been displaying throughout the season.

The pressure kept coming from Trinity, and as well as FC were defending, they were all at sea when Toby Gould’s 82nd minute strike hit the back of the net to make it 3-2, a neat finish curling it past Lavercombe in net.

A nervy four minutes were added on for stoppages, but FC ensured that the three points were coming back to Broadhurst Park.

After the game, FC manager Neil Reynolds said: “It was important that we put recent games to bed as soon as possible and since then we’ve won 4 out of 4.

“Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you win it. Today I’m a little bit deflated that we didn’t win the game more comfortable.

“I was looking forward to their manager saying ‘what a great side you’ve got’ – but at the end we showed out naivety and our youthfulness at times.

“It doesn’t feel like a defeat because a win is a win, but it doesn’t feel like it should feel and that for me is a bit of a kick in the teeth. I’ve got really high standards.


“Imagine me stood here now at 3-3 and we’ve given away a three-goal lead, it’s unthinkable after how we played. We were exciting, we scored good goals and you have to look at the goals we conceded – it wasn’t good enough.

“In that dressing room we pride ourselves on high standards and we’ve conceded sloppy goals this season.

“I’ve said many times that we’ve had injuries, well we haven’t today, we had a full side out, Donoghue is suspended but you have to prevent them goals from going in the back of the net.”

When asked about Cian Hayes being called up for the Ireland U21 squad, Reynolds said: “I’m happy with the lads that have come in on loan in general. Their attitudes are exemplary, they’re winners and although Cian will be leaving us for 10 days, what an accolade for him.

“So we can say that we’ve had an international player in our side today and I’m sure he will be back in the side after his time away doing what he did today.

“Also massive thank you to Fleetwood, Blackpool and Blackburn, just thankful for letting us look after their players.

“We have an agreement in principle to extend Burns’ loan so it might be that they are happy with his development, but we will have to see.”

Next up for FC is a trip to the Yorkshire coast tonight (Tuesday)  as they take on Whitby Town in a 19.45pm kick-off at the Turnbull Ground.