FC United of Manchester 3 – 1 AFC Telford United


  •   FC United climbed out of the relegation zone in convincing fashion after making it five home wins in a row against AFC Telford.
  •   Telford slipped to their first defeat in three games at Broadhurst Park.
  •   NQ's Steven Railston was at the game to report.


Broadhurst Park was in fine voice with 2079 fans attending; the best attendance in the National League North on Saturday.

Telford were probably expected to win this one. The bucks have never lost to FC, a club which recently has just sacked long serving manager Karl Marginson and the away side came out of the traps quick – threatening from the whistle.

Their early pressure was soon to be rewarded as Henry Cowans picked up the ball 30 yards out. The midfielder hit a driven low ball to the left of flat footed keeper Lloyd Allinson and the ball nestled in the back of the net.

With not even three minutes on the clock Telford couldn’t have wished for a better start.

With 18 minutes on the clock, FC finally responded with their first flash on goal. Kieran Glynn bombed towards the Telford goal, playing a smart ball into the box to player-manager Tom Greaves, whose shot went just wide of the post; serving as a warning of things to come.

FC United fans watch on

Young Sam Baird looked excellent at centre half for FC, making a few crunching tackles among great interceptions to stifle Telford attacks.  The 18-year-old looked composed at the back and certainly has a future ahead of him.

27 minutes struck, and Michael Jones of FC received the ball unchallenged. The midfielder played a sublime ball to find Jason Gilchrist on the right wing, who crossed to the back post where Tom Greaves was lurking.

Greaves instinctively slammed home the ball from close range, taking his total tally for the club up to 98.

Telford needed to react, and they did so through a corner three minutes later. A great header met the cross but a goal line clearance from captain Scott Kay prevented them from retaking the lead.

Not long after the second half had started, a great pass from Michael Jones put Jason Gilchrist through on goal. Gilchrist kept his composure, cut inside onto his right foot and calmly slotted past Singh in goal to put United 2-1 ahead.

On 73 minutes, the game was wrapped up. 

After FC substitute, Steven Irwin, won the ball back bravely and played it into Gilchrist’s feet, Gilchrist effortlessly floated the ball into the back of the net from 40 yards out, demonstrating unbelievable technique which sent the FC fans into pandemonium.

It was a goal worthy of winning any game. The man of the match award rightly found its way to Gilchirst and when the final whistle went no one was more deserving.

A great day for United fans, but one to forget for the Bucks.


FC United of Manchester (4-4-2) –  Allinson, Senior, Baird, Hughes, Fagbola, Glynn (Irwin, 67), Kay (C), Jones (Palmer, 85), Logan, Gilchrist (McCarthy, 82), Greaves.

AFC Telford United (4-2-3-1): Singh, Simpson (Barnes-Homer, 80), Johnson, Sutton (C), Wilson, Cowans, Lussey, Murphy (Dwyer, 80), Leonard, Newby, Dinanga.