During play off Southport FC v Curzon Ashton FC

Curzon Ashton FC cling on against Southport FC

  • Southport FC 0 – 0 Curzon Ashton FC
  • Second 0-0 in as many meetings for the two sides
  • 3 clean sheets in a row for Curzon

Curzon Ashton FC managed to keep a clean sheet away to Southport FC by the skin of their teeth when the two sides met in the Vanarama National League North on Tuesday night.

A dusting of rain fell over The Pure Stadium, more affectionately known as Haig Ave, but the conditions were mild as the two teams came together for the second time since Boxing Day.

The game finished 0-0 after a one-sided performance in favour of the home team. How it finished goalless? I don’t think anybody is too sure, but Adam Lakeland’s men managed to absorb 90 minutes of near-constant Southport attack and come away unscathed and with a valuable point.

The chances began early on, with Jordan Archer hitting the post in the opening minutes.

This theme continued throughout the first half with more chances for Archer, along with Tyler Walton, Jack Bainbridge, Connor Woods and Declan Evans, who was signed just an hour before Kick Off.

Some strong forwards movement from Adam Thomas gave Curzon a glimmer of hope, but nothing was to come of it.

The story remained very much the same in the second half. The Nash’ long balls couldn’t unlock Southport’s sturdy defence and the home side proceeded to create a flurry of chances, all of which either missed the mark or were denied by ‘keeper Chris Renshaw and his defenders who were constantly called into action.

Two potential penalty shouts for the Sandgrounders were waved away by referee Dane McCarrick, much to the disbelief of the home manager, and even some of the 18 Curzon fans.

The handful of travelling support were nearly treated to a last minute smash ‘n’ grab as Cameron Mason saved a convincing shot from Harry Flowers, who was brought on for Jamie Cooke at the beginning of the second half.

Liam Watson said he was “really pleased with the performance” of his side but that they had “100% thrown three points away”. He was also complimentary of the visiting side, stating “I thought they defended ever so well” and was especially impressed by their resilience during a period of Southport set-plays.

Relatively new Curzon Ashton coach, Adam Lakeland, was “delighted to come away with a point because I think for long periods, we were second best” saying that he felt Southport made his side “defend with great honesty”. Despite a sub-par performance, Lakeland still had praise for his team, adding “when you don’t play well you’ve got to be solid and keep a clean sheet and make sure you take something out the game and every credit to the lads for doing that.”