Penalty drama sees Man Met progress into the next round of the cup.

It was another round in the cup at Platt Lane, Manchester Metropolitan 1sts took on Liverpool John Moore’s University 1sts in a game that proved to be very entertaining once again.


As the referee blew for kick-off, the game was very even. Man Met dominated possession as usual and LJMU came out with a very strong press, letting the home side know they weren’t going to be rolled over like previous opponents. After a cagey thirty minutes, the game opened up with a chance. A cross from Ben Coward was met by Tom Carr who hit the frame of the goal. A few minutes soon after, LJMU hit the frame of the bar from a sloppy free-kick given away.


The boys went into the dressing room at half-time with the score being 0-0 with neither team really deserving a lead. Coach Gareth Smith sent his boys out there once again after talking tactics to try and break this deadlock.


Five minutes into the second half, MMU broke the deadlock. A free kick just outside the box by the left corner flag was taken by captain Nathan Baker, which was met by the wall. However, he won the second ball and whipped it into the box but was headed away. Ben Coward picks up the scraps, drove into the box with his lethal combination of tricky feet and blistering pace and hammers one home with his weak foot for Man Met to go 1-0 up.


After that the game turned quite stale. It seemed the opposition were quite happy to leave their rival city with a 1-0 defeat and Manchester Met were happy with that also.


This was until the 90th minute.


Another sloppy free-kick given away by our lads lead to LJMU smashing a free-kick off the crossbar and into the back of the net, one lapse in concentration takes our boys into penalties when there was really no need.


Penalties ended 5-4 in favour of our boys. A save from Prince Osei made the difference and there was scenes of jubilation when we slotted home the winner. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief.


Another entertaining week at Platt Lane with us through to the next round of the cup, onto the next.

MMU went toe-to-toe in the cup with Liverpool John Moore’s University in a thrilling contest at Platt Lane on Wednesday. Late penalty drama confirmed to be one that nobody would forget for a long time.