Police appeal for information after man raped in Manchester city centre
- Man raped and robbed by another man before fleeing the scene
- Suspect described as Asian, around 5ft 10inches, about 30 years old, of medium build with short styled facial hair and dark black short hair.
A 23-year-old man was approached by another man in the city centre before being raped and robbed.
The victim was walking on Brazil Street at about 4.30am on 19 October 2016, before being approached by the suspect. They walked together for a short distance, before the suspect raped and robbed him in a doorway on Brazil Street.
The victim had his watch and ring stolen and the offender fled towards Whitworth Street.
Detective inspector David Moores, from GMP’s Serious Sexual Offences Unit, said: “We are currently reviewing CCTV from the area and are carrying out a number of enquiries.
“I would like to reassure the public we are doing everything possible to find the man responsible for this and I would urge anyone who may have witnessed something to please contact us.
“We are offering the victim specialist support at this difficult time and he has shown immense bravery in coming forward.
“Help and support will always be there for people who want to come forward and report sexual offences or speak to someone about concerns they may have.
“If you saw a man matching this description in the area around the time of the offence, then please also report it as any information could be key to our investigation.”
Anyone with any information should call police on 0161 856 1911, quoting incident number 221 of 19 October 2016 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- If you or someone you know has been raped or sexually assaulted, we encourage you not to suffer in silence and report it to the police, or a support agency so you can get the help and support available.
- You can call Greater Manchester Police on 101, or alternatively people can refer themselves to St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre on 0161 276 6515, whether or not you want make a police report.
- St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and medical aftercare service to anyone in Greater Manchester who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and people can access them via Greater Manchester Police, or as a self-referral.
- Manchester Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused. Confidential helpline: 0161 273 4500. Black and Minority Ethnic helpline: 0161 273 4514.
- Survivors Manchester offers support and counselling for adult male survivors of sexual abuse and rape, regardless of when the event happened. Contact 07919 246 267.